Posted to alt.home.repair
Everett M. Greene Everett M. Greene is offline

Default Underground Sprinkler problem

Rich256 writes:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Rich256" wrote in message
Utility with a few exceptions like cable TV are always relatively deep.
Cable TV might be just below the sod but no permit there anyway.

True, but here, the electric company has these "Call Before You Dig" logos
on our bills, on the sides of their trucks, etc. If you call, they'll stop
by for free and mark the paths of the lines. I called them when I dug a new
garden, because I go down 3 feet for new beds.

So...I'm just sayin'...not for nuthin... Never mind. :-)

A few years ago my telephone became very noisy. Had the phone guy come
out. He hooks up his tracer and starts tracing it across the yard. He
gets back to a place, stops and puts down a marker. I say's "OH-OH". I
had dug down about three feet in that area just recently. Nicked the
phone line!!

Water, Gas & Power I don't worry about here as it is down at least 6 ft.
That is a fact as just a couple years ago I hired someone to fix a
water leak near the meter (near the street). In the process they
uncovered the gas lines too. Both about 7 feet down.

Don't rely on utilities being quite deep -- it varies greatly
from one place to another. Our ground never freezes so the
water line is just barely below the surface. The other
utilities don't have freezing problems so can be at any
depth.

My biggest problem is my gardner hitting the sprinkler
lines. I keep telling her I'm going to fire her if she
doesn't stop breaking the lines, but she just dares me
to try getting rid of her. Lawyer's daughter...