Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot is offline

Default Roland keyboard power supply problem

Franc Zabkar wrote:

A coil? If so, it will measure close to zero ohms, and there should be
an Lnn circuit reference on the PCB.

Thanks. I'll have a closer look when I start replacing things.

I'd find out where the + terminal
of the capacitor goes. It will probably go to one of the secondary
outputs at connectors CN1/2/3/4. Actually, upon closer inspection the
capacitor looks to be covered in fixing glue, so it may not be bulging
as I first thought. BTW, when replacing these caps, make sure you use
low ESR, 105 degC types.

Ok. There's nothing on the board that *looks* dead at all really; all the
caps look perfect apart from just one of the big ones that has the slight
bulge in the top.

Is it possible that another board is causing the power to shut down and
restart? If so that opens up a whole load of new possibilities! The relay
which clicks when the keyboard is switched on, or resets, is on a seperate
power amplifier board which is fed from the main power board, obviously.

I wish I knew more about this stuff!!

Si