Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Andy is offline

Default Mirror Re-Silvering

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience of having mirrors re-silvered ? If so
by whom and how much !

I have a bevelled mirror in the upstand of an Edwardian sideboard that
is roughly 25" x 27" that desperately needs re-silvering due I suspect
to damp in it's previous location before I owned it. It is too bad
just to ignore.

Although I could put in a piece of new mirror, it would scream 'new in
a piece that has more than its share of the patina of age

AWEM

I believe it is possible to do it at home, though I don't know the details.
Amateur astronomers used to grind, polish and silver their own telescope
mirrors, so that might be a good area to start googling, if you're really
interested.

Andy