Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default From OP: Lubricate Faces With ? Plumbing Union/Coupling Question

On Jan 28, 7:44 am, "Sacramento Dave" wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in messagenews:XaqdnS1KdLHnCCHYnZ2dnUVZ_ternZ2d@comca st.com...

Hello all,

Thanks for all the information, and time to help me out.
Appreciate it.

Just one quick follow-up, please:

What type of Grease, or other lubricant, should the mating faces be
lightly coated
with prior to assembly ? Any reasons not to (water usage) ?

Thanks,
Bob
-------------------------- I would use Rectorseal pipe dope it's just acting more like a lubricant .

Were ever the metal rubes or threads you want to coat. If you get to much on
it's just to wipe off after assembly. I don't know what the line is hooking
to but before you install a valve or whatever run some water threw the line
to get any debris out.

Just my experience here. I don't know what the _official_ stance is
on it.

I have _never_ applied any kind of pipe dope, lubricant or anything
else to the mating faces. On the threads, yes. The mating faces do
not slide across one another when intalling so don't need
'lubricant'. Sealer? Not in my experience. I have had leaks in just
about any type joint normally found in a house but never in a union.

Harry K