Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default double-checking wiring for basement lighs

From: http://www.gelighting.com/na/busines...faqs/cfl.htm#3

3. Can I use a compact fluorescent light bulb with a dimmer switch?

To use a compact fluorescent bulb on a dimmer switch, you must buy a
bulb that's specifically made to work with dimmers (check the
package). GE makes a dimming compact fluorescent light bulb (called
the GE Longlife Plus Soft White Energy Saving Bulb) that is specially
designed for use with dimming switches. We don't recommend using
regular compact fluorescent bulbs with dimming switches, since this
can shorten bulb life. (Using a regular compact fluorescent bulb with
a dimmer will also nullify the bulb's warranty.)

And here's a poorly worded section from an FAQ from http://
http://www.westinghouselightbulbs.co....shtml#fluoro4

4 - Can a fluorescent light bulb be dimmed?
Only with a fluorescent dimmer, not on a standard incandescent
dimmer.

5 - Can a compact fluorescent light bulb be dimmed?
Westinghouse has a few compact fluorescent light bulbs that have been
specifically designed to be able to be dimmed on an incandescent
dimmer. However, generally speaking, CFL light bulbs cannot be
dimmed.

My comment on the wording of the FAQ: If you stopped reading after
question 4, which deals with "a fluorescent light bulb" you'd think
you had your answer and would never get to question 5, which deals
specifically with CFL's. In fact Question 3 deals with CFL's so they
seem to be jumping back and forth between CFL's and "regular"
fluorescents, which could be quite confusing to the reader.

On Jan 28, 9:31 am, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
Question:

Will those 'twisty' fluorescent light bulbs work with a dimmer?

"Tony Hwang" wrote in messagenews:AxPuh.813553$5R2.469687@pd7urf3no...

wrote:

Done lots of reading and think this is okay - but thought I'd post to get
others thoughts:

I'm finishing a room in the basement by putting in 18 recessed potlights
(large room). They are halogen bulbs and the lights are rated for 50
watts each. This is okay on one circuit? (If I did my watts/amps-math
right...) Also, can I use a standard dimmer switch for the halogen bulbs?

Thanks for the input.

Hi,
That's OK but I wouldn't put all 18 lamps in one circuit. If something
happens all lamps will go out = dark. I'd split them into two groups
feeding from separate branch. Also it is easier to get two typical 600W
dimmer as well. High power dimmer close to 1000W handling is big and
expensive. If I were you, I'd install energy saving fluorescent bulbs;
sunlight and daylight ones mixed.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -