Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Motor Problem

Thanks to all who responded to my original post. I've taken a good look at
the commutator on the motor and it doesn't look in the best of shape. I
think the heat and arcing has pitted it badly. Guess I will look at
replacing the motor. Apparently a replacement Lamb motor runs $195 to $245
here in Canada.
Thanks,
Mike

wrote in message
I noticed that our central vac didn't sound right today. I took the plastic
housing off the top of the motor so the commutator and brushes were visible
and started it up. After a few seconds of operation I start to see the blue
spark between the brushes and commutator start to extend almost 1/2" in the
direction of rotation around the commutator. As this happens the speed of
the motor slowly begins to drop. The motor was overhauled last April; new
bearings and brushes.The vacuum is 22 yrs old so the commutator on the
motor has seen a lot of wear but it looks in reasonable shape. Anybody have
an idea what might be happening here?
Thanks,
Mike
--