Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster digitalmaster is offline

Default Plumbing Union/Coupling Question

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
.. .

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Have done a fair amount of home plumbing type of work, but, surprisingly,
have never had need to use a "union".

Have to run a line from a washing machine water outlet to the machine,
and for various reasons, before I get to the hose itself, I could use a
Union in the rigid section to provide some angularity adjustment, as well
as the removable advantage they provide.

Have looked at them at HD, and frankly they make me very nervous.

What's your experience with these things.
e.g.,

Once you snug them up, do they tend to stay that way ?

Reason i'm asking is that there is no elasticity in the union coupling
itself, so it seems to me that if the threads back off, even a very small
amount, there will be leakage thru the ground and polished seat where the
two pieces actually come together.

Any thoughts on this ?
Safe to use ? Proven in practice pretty well ?

Are there any other types, or brands, besides the HD ones that are
perhaps of better quality ?

Thanks,
Bob

Unions are fine If you are going from Iron to copper you need a dielectric
union. Also when installing one coat the threads with pipe dope if a non
dielectric also coat the face, don't be afraid to tighten them. A union
should always be accessible. What I like better is a Left/Right nipple
witch also are made for dielectric use. Now if you want some flexibility
buy a flex hose. Basically pipe threads on the end of a stainless hose,
They also make a copper sweat flex. If this is going to be something you
see disconnecting now and then start off with a ball valve.

You can also go from iron/steel to copper with a brass valve eliminating the
need for a dielectric union/nipple if that would be more appropriate.You can
also purchase 3 piece valves so the valve itself acts as a union,valve,and
dielectric connection.Would be hard to say without seeing the install
location.