Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jazon48@yahoo.com is offline

Default Working on ceiling in stairwell

On Jan 28, 12:00 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
What's the typical method for working on the ceiling of a stairwell? The
only reason why I ask is that even with an 8 foot ladder, it's simply not
possible to reach the ceiling safely, especially when the staircase
effectively lowers the floor by 6 feet and turns that 8 foot ceiling into a
14 foot ceiling.

I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to build an L shaped platform to
lay on the stairs but wasn't sure if there's a simpler solution that doesn't
involve creaky underdesigned platforms that give way right as I climb up on
the ladder I set down on the platform.

The L shaped platform I built out of 3/4 inch plywood and 2 x 4 's
wasn't creaky or underdesigned and works well.

If you don't trust your design and construction skills, you can rent
scaffolding from good rental places.

-Jason