Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Best way to join (extend) a Cat5e cable?

On Jan 28, 1:31 pm, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:41:01 UTC, John Rumm

wrote:
Mathew Newton wrote:

I think I'll go the for the pushdown coupler Bob pointed to at CPC -

Another solution would be to stick a RJ45 plug on the end of the
existing wire, and then use one of those back to back RJ45 to RJ45
couplers to join it to a simmarly terminated new bit of wire.Yes, that would work. I was trying to keep the number of connections to

a minimum - there would be four (two cable-to-plug and two
plug-to-socket). There's also the difficulty of attaching an RJ45 plug
to solid cored cable. These little couplers reduce that to two; they
might *just* fit in a box.

I should say that I have two of these couplers in my network wiring
(where I pulled through cables long before terminating them, and in the
interim changed my mind about where the termination was going to be).
I'm not seeing any problems on those particular circuits.

That's very reassuring - thanks.

I did consider the plug-coupler-plug route although whilst I've got
some plugs here I believe they're meant for stranded cores.
Furthermore I'm quite used to the punchdown terminations now so may as
well stick with what I know.

Mathew