Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tspage@gmail.com is offline

Default Leak under boiler - please help!

Hi John

I have left the filling loop closed, what I meant to say was that when
I open, I now cant seem to increase the pressure again if I need to,
where as before this whole problem occured, i was able to.

Thanks very much for all your helpful comments everyone... it's been a
boiler baptism of fire if nothing else.

Regards,
Tom

On 28 Jan, 12:34, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
Im new to this group. I know nothing about boilers or plumming (recent
home owner) and have had a search through this group already to see if
the topic has been covered - some of the jargon has thrown me a bit!
I'd be very grateful for any advice!Have a read of Ed's sealed system FAQ document - that will give you some

background on the jargon and also how systems like yours work.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

Yesterday I noticed my boiler had an error code on the display telling
me to increase the water inlet (the pressure had dropped below 1.0). i
opened the tap a bit more and went on my merry way. When I woke upThis phrase "turned on a bit more" worries me a little! ;-)

Are we are talking about the "filling loop" (this is usually a small
valve or tap on the rising cold water main that is then connected to the
boilers heating circuit by a short flexible braided hose)?

If so then this tap should under normal circumstances always be turned
off, you only ever turn it on to refil or top up the system pressure,
and then once the desired pressure is reached you turn it off again.

If you leave the tap turned on, then the pressure will continue rising
until the CH circuit either reaches the same pressure as your cold mains
supply, or you exceed the threshold set on the safety release valve
(which hopefully exits through the wall outside somewhere).

Now when I open/close the the inlet tap, it seems to have no effect on
the pressure. Can anyone offer any advice please?Depends a bit on exactly what you did inthe first place.

--
Cheers,

John.