Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay Brian Reay is offline

Default Best way to join (extend) a Cat5e cable?

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
oups.com...

(I'm
amazed the pushdown connections are acceptable in this environment) by
all accounts it is somewhat difficult to get a decent result without
plenty of melted insulation. Depending on the size of these couplers
perhaps I could make the connection inside the current RJ45 outlet -
blanking it off with a faceplate - thus allowing the socket to be
reinstated if required at a later date?

Electrically, push down connectors are quite good. You'd be surprised where
connections like, or at least similar to, this are used. In fact, soldered
connections tend to give more problems, esp. with age and temp. cycling.

Thanks again for the ideas, I just hope I don't get sleepless nights
wondering how many IP packets are being dropped... (sadly I'm that
type of person...)

The network protocol will cope with this. Just remember to vacuum up the
dropped packets from time to time with a HEPA filter vacuum. An ordinary
vacuum just blows them around and they can cause havoc if the get back into
the cabling. Don't breath them in, or you'll end up as a Linux Geek ;-)

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to
support the
Radio Communications Foundation or STELAR?