Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Dresser Construction Advice

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya,
I'm about to embark on building a dresser. I'd like to emulate this one:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...r&cm%5Fsrc=sch

Basically for those that don't go to the site to see it, it's a dresser
with multiple drawers and appears to have 4 square legs that run from the
floor to the underside of the top. Additionally, the sides and front are
set back slightly from the faces of the legs. Typical chest of drawers
construction would say to build a box, attach webs on the inside for the
drawers, and then put a base/feet on. What's throwing me a bit is the
full length legs. I'm thinking of two methods to incorporate them. Either
a) mortise into the legs for the front of the webs, build the sides as
panels with rails mortised into the legs adding a spacer to the back of
the sides to hold the webs or b) build as a traditional box with webs and
then notch the legs to set the box into. I suspect (a) is the best
choice for strength but I'm wondering if others have a better idea? I
hope this makes sense....it's difficult to describe via words sometimes!
Thanks for the help!
Cheers,
cc

I am not exactly sure what a web is, but I have built a number of items
like this. I make side panels with two legs, and then put attach the drawer
"shelves" (your "webs"?) and top to the side panels with pocket screws,
biscuits, or dowels.
Unless I am missing something, you are making too much out of this.