Posted to uk.d-i-y
Siggy Siggy is offline

Default CH system descaling quandry

EricP wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 00:08:02 GMT, Siggy
wrote:

See above. Then suicide, if that doesn't work ...

As the crucifix seems to have stopped working, this may be the only
path left.

Do not jest!! )

You must try to find the leak.

Damn, and here was me hopin it would be you! :-p

With no puddles on the floor,

Perhaps it is just a faulty prostate instead?

it is probably going out the pressure relief valve, or even across to the
DHW side and out the tap.

I replaced the DHW Watersection valve in 2001 due to corrosion, which I
accidentally discovered when I couldn't turn the attached adjusting
wheel which alters the dhw flow rate. It had locked up solid due to not
replacing the the combicare cartridge often enough. I have done so
religiously ever since, and the wheel still keeps on turnin! Can't see
any sign of weeping or corrosion although it is all a bit packed with
gubbins in there to get a proper view. I don't feel any moistness when I
run my fingers around the many joints there. :-s

Have you examined the relief valve?

Yes, and there were occasions when we observed small drips coming from
the vent pipe outside the front door. But this was before we replaced
the CH pressure vessel last summer, and I dont' *think* it has happened
again since, although I will try taping a plastic sandwich bag around
the end to catch the drips if any.

I have also done a mains pressure back flush through the boiler and
vented out through the PRV by turning the valve knob to open it fully
and allowing it to 'shunt' back into the closed position. As you will
know, they are sprung loaded and when you pass a certain point of no
return, the valve slams shut again. I realise that it is not advisable
to do this, as grit can get trapped etc in the seal and cause a leak.
But I power flushed it at mains pressure at the same time as operating
the valve, so hopefully it shouldn't have trapped any debris?

Have you looked at the pressure vessel?

Yup, see above. Told you it was a loooong story! :-((

I am now of Andy's view that it must be a weeping rad valve or someat
similar. Hence my current choice for introducing a leak sealer chemical,
just to eliminate that area of possibility.