Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric9822 Eric9822 is offline

Default HELP! - Ceramic Soap Dish Won't hold in shower! What to use?

On Jan 27, 2:09 pm, "baraka" wrote:
Hi all,

Well, I am stumped. I have a recessed soap dish which cracked and I am
replacing it with
a new one. The old dish had more ceramic material on it and now there
is about 2 inches
of space in the wall. I tried mastic, thin set and even tried adhesive
grout. I applied a lot
if this stuff to the back of the new soap dish and also in the wall
space. Held it up with tape
and all 3 times nothing wanted to dry behind the soap dish. Within a
matter of days the
dish just fell off the wall. What should I use to secure this thing. I
think the problem is that I
have 2 inches of gap in the wall that has to be filled. What would you
guys recommend?

John

I think what you are saying is that the part of the old dish that
attaches to the wall is about 2" thicker then the new one. Is that
correct? I also assume the dish is set into the tile with adhesive.
If so I'd build up the difference with a piece of backer board where
the dish is supposed to go before trying to attach the new dish. Just
an idea, I have never run into this problem.