Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default double-checking wiring for basement lighs

Are these line-voltage PARs or low-voltage MR16s? If they are the
latter, I would recommend the more energy-efficient IR MR16s that are
available from Philips, GE and Osram Sylvania.

A 37-watt IR MR16 produces the same amount of light as a standard
50-watt and with eighteen fixtures you'll save a total of 234-watts
(plus reduce the load on your air conditioning system). Again, the
same amount of light, but for 25-per cent less power and, as an added
bonus, longer service life.

Sylvania's 37-watt TRU-AIM IR MR16s have a rated life of 5,000 hours
and come in 10, 25, 35 and 60 degree beam widths. For maximum light
spread, select the 60 degree version.

I personally prefer the Sylvania product, but any of the other brands
will do an equally good job. You'll have a hard time finding these
lamps in the normal retail channels but any lighting/electrical
wholesaler should carry them and you should be able to purchase them
through their cash and carry counter.

Cheers,
Paul

Done lots of reading and think this is okay - but thought I'd post to
get others thoughts:

I'm finishing a room in the basement by putting in 18 recessed
potlights (large room). They are halogen bulbs and the lights are
rated for 50 watts each. This is okay on one circuit? (If I did my
watts/amps-math right...) Also, can I use a standard dimmer switch for
the halogen bulbs?

Thanks for the input.