Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default double-checking wiring for basement lighs

One 15 or 20 amp circuit is fine to feed the lights. You should use dimmers
for magnetic low voltage transformers, assuming that's what you'll have.
These dimmers are not rated as high as line voltage dimmers, a Lutron
Skylark 600 watt MLV dimmer is only rated for 450 watts, and that is by
itself in a single box. If you gang several together in multigang boxes,
their wattage capacity is diminished further. You could go for something
like a Lutron Nova MLV ,in a high wattage model, but I think they sell for
somewhere around $500

wrote in message
ps.com...
Done lots of reading and think this is okay - but thought I'd post to
get others thoughts:

I'm finishing a room in the basement by putting in 18 recessed
potlights (large room). They are halogen bulbs and the lights are
rated for 50 watts each. This is okay on one circuit? (If I did my
watts/amps-math right...) Also, can I use a standard dimmer switch for
the halogen bulbs?

Thanks for the input.