Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Request advice re. problem with undermount vanity basin

On Jan 26, 11:35 pm, "PE" wrote:
Hi all: Request advice re. problem I've encountered while replacing faucet
in bathroom vanity. The valves and spout are mounted in the countertop, and
the basin in front of them is an undermount variety. I removed the basin
for easy access to the faucet hardware, but when replacing the basin after
installing the new fixtures, I discovered that the rubber/metal washer
that's under the counter and at the base of the new spout apparently has a
larger diameter than the one it replaced, and it prevents the flange around
the top of the undermount basin from snugging up against the underside of
the counter. There's insufficient space to move the basin forward, so the
only option would seem to be, if possible, to remove a semi-circle of
material approx. 2" across and 1" deep from the basin flange in order for
the same to be able to clear the spout washer. Would appreciate any advice
whether it's possible to do so without cracking/ruining the basin and, if
so, best method and tool(s) to use. Also any ideas for alternative
work-around. Would like to keep the new hardware if I can and would rather
not buy a new basin. Thanks for your replies!

Had similar issues replacing faucets on pedestal sinks. If you don't
have to remove much material from the new washer...go for it.

If you need to remove a substantial amount of the washer consider
getting a thicker thicker washer & modify it.

The basin system works now, I would suggest not messing with it.

Cheer
Bob