Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default Door latch fixing question

That appears ast you the latch is supposed too be held in a fixed position
and Duhrums Rock Hard Water Putty http://www.waterputty.com/ has been used
to fill the widening hole.

IME, wood putties tend to dry to a brittle state and offer little strength.
I would try to remove all as much of the putty as possible and try again
using 60-minute epoxy. It might be a little runny and ooze out of the hole.
Work it back into the hole as it starts to firm up a bit... this may be over
the course of an hour depending in the temperature (epoxy cures slowly at
lower temps). After a couple hours (YMMV) the epoxy will be very firm but
not *hard* (when you can no longer sink your fingernail into it). This is a
good time to trim it flush with a chisel.

Regards,

Steve

"Marndin" wrote in message
Could someone please recommend a glue/fixing compound to secure a door
latch fitting in wood. Pictures attached.

I have tried a couple of things but they haven't secured it well enough.

Many thanks to anyone who repiles.