Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Best way to join (extend) a Cat5e cable?

I wish to move my home (personal) server into another room however
whilst I took advantage of a complete house restoration to install
Cat5e cabling I now find that the socket in the new room is not in the
best position for the intended layout. I don't really want to run a
long patch cable across/around the room to this socket, purely for
aesthetic reasons.

Fortunately the new room is currently being redecorated hence the
carpet is up and I have full access to under the floor. Hence, if
acceptable, I am able to install a new RJ45 socket on the opposite
wall and extend the original cable to it (blanking off the original
socket as there's only the one cable running to this one).

The cable is solid core UTP and is perhaps no more than 20m in length.
It is currently supporting a 100mbps network.

What would be the best way to extend the cable? I was considering
soldering/heatshrinking as opposed to fitting plugs and using a
coupler. Is this a bad idea? Unfortunately running a new cable is
unlikely to be an acceptable option.

Any suggestions/advice?

Mathew

P.S. Bugger - there is also a telephone and TV aerial outlet too -
perhaps I ought to move them whilst I'm at it. Telephone will be no
problem (solder) but what about TV?