Thomas Kendrick

Default Repair of Pressure Cooker (by a nitwit)

I let one of my PC run out of water, resulting in blowing out the
fuse. There is an appliance parts store in Deep Ellum in Dallas which
usually stocked them, but they were out of stock at the time. They
order them in lots of 100 or some large number and had finally used up
their supply. Several months later, the reorder arrived and I got one
for $6. They formerly had Saturday hours, but now are open only on
weekdays.
Pearsol Appliance Company - 214-939-0930

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:27:02 GMT, "Loren A. Coe"
wrote:

i posted some time ago about the fuse being gone
in a used pressure cooker. turns out that this
model is not supported by anyone that i have found
on the web or in the DFW area.

well, as a cheapskate and ex-Marine, i decided to try
something. soldering a "plug" would be the way to
go, and i have an iron that could do it. otherwise
a torch would have to do. the cooker is aluminum,
but you can unscrew the housing for the fuse and
repair it w/o melting the cooker.

what i did, just as a test of the gasket,
was to "tape" over the blown fuse w/some 3-M al
tape meant for a/c ductwork. it worked, it worked
so well that i am eating the beans for supper(!).

of course, this is NOT something i recommend, to
ANYONE. but still, interesting, imho. --Loren

ps. there was concern about the adhesive, and i
saw it, but very local to the edges of the tape. it
does not appear to have migrated any farther. if so,
it does not seem to have hurt the flavor. grin