Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default How to lube' garage doors

Bob wrote:
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this. I have two sixteen foot wide
garage doors and both make a lot of squeaking and crunching noise
when opened or closed. The one on the house attached garage has an
opener which works fine except in cold weather (that's below about 40
degrees), when it opens fine but balks on closing. Opener stops,
light blinks, etc. I may need to adjust the downward force. But
first, I need to lubricate the doors.

First you need to check the door balance (spring force) Make sure you
know what you are doing there as some setups can be dangerous if you don't
know what you are doing. You can lube all you want, but if the springs are
not properly adjusted, it is not going to be good.

That's my question. Just what do I lubricate and how do I do it.
I'll tell you what I tried but doesn't seem to help.

Using a pump oil can, I squired SAE 30 oil around where each roller
meets the shaft. I don't think a lot of oil actually gets inside the
roller shaft area though. I love WD40 for some things, but don't
think it is applicable in this application.

Should I lightly grease the outer surface of the rollers where they
roll on the track? It seems to me this would be a dust magnet.

I appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks in advance. Bob

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit