Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fuel oil tank

"terri" wrote in message
This was done with pvc pipe and it is about 7' from the ground up,
attached to the
outside of the garage. It makes sense to me to have it high for the
fuel to travel at least
10 feet to the tank. After numerous calls to our fuel oil company, they
finally came
and filled the tank yesterday. NOW the delivery driver says AGAIN that
they will not
deliver until we lower the fill pipe and replace it with iron pipe. Is
it necessary to use iron
pipe and if we lower the pipe, won't that restrict the flow of fuel
being poured in? I don't
mean to sound ignorant, I just want to do what is right and get this
straightened out
once and for all. Any information you can provide would be most

Iron pipe is a must. I don't know how high he wants it, but they should be
able to tell you what height is best for them. Honestly, 7' is kind of
silly. How would you pump gas into your car if the filler extended that
high? I would want the maximum about 4' or so. The pipe should also be a
size at least as large as the connection on the tank. It may require a
standard cap on the end also.

As for filling in the garage, there are many new regulations for handling
hazardous materials and there is a lot of liability for them to take an oil
hose into a building. It should have been piped outside when originally
installed. This is being done for your safety as well as the oil company.