Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Pain furnace, er I mean Payne

Had a similar problem with another brand of furnace, I found the electronic
thermostat batteries were low, but not low enough to have the "replace
battery" light come on. Later I found it was eating batteries and had to
change them every week. It got worse so that replacing the batteries did
nothing. Changed over to a good quality Honeywell electronic thermostat and
it has been fine for years.

wrote in message
oups.com...
This ol' furnace has been acting up for a month or so. It's a Payne,
but I can not find the model number, nor do I know how old it is. The
red light is doing a 3/4 blink sequence and everything works up to the
burner staying on. The fan ends up blowing coolish air for a minute or
so, then the whole thing starts over again and eventually after several
attempts the burner stays on and warm air gets blown. Tonight this went
on for over an hour without any heat being made, so I shut it all down.
Any ideas? Should I try restarting it? There is no gas odor, but is
there still a risk? I have plenty of warm woolies to put on, but their
kinda scratchy and company is due Saturday. Any help would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks, Kayle