Posted to alt.home.repair
# Fred # # Fred # is offline

Default Where is that Global Warming Al Gore? (Need help on house.)

"Leonardo" wrote in message
et...
# Fred # wrote:

Somewhere I've read margarine was invented, before it was placed on our
dinner tables, for the consumption by hogs. Great stuff, cheap, a profit
maker, and fatten the hogs in record time for market. But the farmers
noticed the hogs were dying off in great numbers so it was banned. So
what did they do with all that surplus margarine? Some entrepreneur
noticed with a little coloring and flavoring added, it could pass for
butter substitute. How it was advertised as heather than butter I never
know but I guess in those days we thought cigarettes were cool too.

I would be very interested in knowing the source of this information. If I
can verify it to be factual, I will add it to our database

Thanks!

Lenny

Couldn't offhand find the source Lenny, and I really don't know if is
factual or not as so with so many things written or broadcasted over the
net, radio or TV, but here is a support relationship between trans-fat and
hogs:

"According to Russell Jaffe, M.D., a noted medical researcher, hog farmers
will not feed trans- fats to their animals because the pigs will die if they
eat them. When Dr Jaffe contacted the US Department of Agriculture, he found
that it knew all about this but was not interested in the possible human
effects since this area was not under its jurisdiction. The US Food & Drug
Administration (FDA) hasn't done anything about it, either. The fact that
the food industry has succeeded in keeping a lid on public awareness of
these facts is testimony to the political power it wields in governmental
and scientific circles."

The complete article is on:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/margarine.html