Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default How hot should the exhaust pipe be?

Okay, last stupid question about my stupid Amana furnace.

I keep forgetting to use my IR thermometer on the exhaust pipe, but it
seems awfully hot to the touch. You can't keep your hand on the pipe
for more than a second or so. I don't think it'd burn, but it is beyond
the human threshold of pain.

It's an 80% efficient furnace, so I'd expect the pipe to be somewhat
warm to the touch. But, it's got a power vent too. Exhaust goes up a
conventional chimney and out the roof, along with at least 20% of my
gas bill

Should it be that hot? Understanding that some is radiating off the
pipe into the basement, is there a way to reclaim more of that heat?

Thanks for all the info!