Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Chris is offline

Default Loose cabinet

Norminn wrote:

clipped

Thanks for the tip on finding the studs.

If I understand correctly, the cabinet should be flush against the wall
without using the screws. Once it is flush, I can then use the screws to
anchor it to the wall?

Thanks.

Walls can be quite uneven and not be noticed until something staight and
true is placed against them. If the base of the wall is a little
further out than the upper wall, then pushing the cabinet top might make
the cabinet tilt back a bit. A baseboard, if there is one behind the
cab., would also cause this. Don't have an electrical cord running
behind the cabinet, I hope? What kind of counter-top/backsplash is there?

Whether floor, wall, cabinet, or all three are lopsided, something needs
to be brought into alignment. A narrow base cabinet doesn't need much
to hold it in place.

Turns out there is a small dip int the wall near the upper right hand corner
of the cabinet. So, the wall isn't even. It's an exterior wall.

There is a cut out whole where the cabinet sits. The cabinet sits a little
below the laminate flooring. The baseboard has been cut at the cabinet so
the cabinet resets "flush" with the wall.

Turned out that in order to secure the cabinet to the wall, the top would
need to be pushed back causing it to be a little uneven. According to my
level, just slightly uneven as only the tip of the bubble was crossing the
line. I used some old laminate that I found under the cabinet to help
secure the base.

I used a few more screws; spread out over the stud. The cabinet seems more
stable and secure now.

Thanks for the advice everyone

--
Chris