Posted to sci.electronics.repair
petrus bitbyter petrus bitbyter is offline

Default Is this computer problem fixable ?

"moonlite" schreef in bericht
ps.com...
I have a computer that was custom built at a computer show a few years
ago and it worked very nicely until lately. My son mistakenly tried
inserting the speaker plug into one of the USB ports on the back.
Suddenly I lost functionality in both keyboard and mouse, so I am
unable to communicate with the computer. The lights on the keyboard do
not light up when I turn the computer on. I replaced keyboard and mouse
without success. The computer still turns on normally and I hate to
just throw it if this problem can be solved. I'm running Windows XP.
Any computer geniuses out there ? Thank you for any help or tips you
can give !

Apparently the power for USB fails due to a short circuit. If the USB has
been treated very bad, the short may still exist. You'd better check out
first. If that's ok and you're lucky, you can find a blown fuse on the
mainboard. (This type of fuses do not look like ordinary glass types
however.) Otherwise you'll have to trace the power trace on the mainboard
until you find the place where it's broken or blow or fried.

petrus bitbyter