Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Drying dishes in a dishwasher

On Jan 25, 5:29 pm, Al Bundy wrote:
"BobK207" wrote groups.com:

On Jan 25, 2:26 pm, "Terry" wrote:
I have been told that the dry cycle of the dishwasher is the energy
hog so I quit using it.

I was going to use something I had just washed in the dishwasher.
When I opened the door it was still warm inside.

My question is will the dishes dry faster if I leave them inside with
the door closed (while warm) or open the door and let the water
evaporate?

Terry-

I've been doing this "no electric heat" dishwasher dry for YEARS.

Here's what I have found works best.

First, always select "no heat" dry so if you forget to intervene, you
still will use less energy.

Cancel / end the dishwasher cycle when the dry cycle starts, open the
door to let the "steam" escape, close door again & let dishes sit for
awhile until the unit cools down, open the dishwasher & let the dishes
finish by air drying.

Now this is fair amount of fiddling to save some energy so I shortcut
the method to .....wash dishes right before going to bed, cancel / end
cycle when dry cycle starts, open dishwasher & let sit over
night.....dishes dry in the am.

Having conditioned air changes the equation somewhat;

in the summer if you use AC , the heat & mositures from the
dishwasher
dry cycle will have to be removed by the AC. If you let the dishes
air dry, the AC will still have to remove the extra moisture generated
by the dishes drying. I don't need / have AC so I have really done
the calcs to determine the best option but my guess it that the AC
will do less work if oyu let the dishes air dry.

OR you could figure out a way to dump the moist air outside (like a
dry vent)

In heating season, adding some moisture to the house is probably a
good thing as long as you don't generate moisture problems
(condensation) but a dishwasher load probably doesn't have all that
much water (as compared to a dryer load of clothes). BTW the heater
will supply the energy to dry the dishes.

cheers
Bob

in the summer if you use AC , the heat & mositures from the
dishwasher
dry cycle will have to be removed by the AC.Whether you use a dry cycle or not the moisture goes in the house. It

may disappear into thin air but it comes out someplace be it out the
door, under the dishwasher, under the counter, etc. The rate at which it
comes out would be what varies.

Whether you use a dry cycle or not the moisture goes in the house. It
may disappear into thin air but it comes out someplace be it out the
door, under the dishwasher, under the counter, etc. The rate at which
it
comes out would be what varies.

And your point?