Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Dissect capacitor to see if it's the source of a leak?

"me" wrote in message
"bryanska" wrote in news:1169777565.861550.286390
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

OK, on Flickr are several pictures.

Included is the best picture I could take of the board. With the two
large caps being new, they mostly covered up the brown crust. It's now
barely visible.

Also included are pics of the top and bottom of the cap in question.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67108618@N00/

Hmm, looks like old glue...

I have to say that it does to me as well. Remains of leaking electrolyte
tends to go crystalline as it dries out, and is usually a very light colour.
I repair hifi all day every day, and it is very common to find a brown crust
randomly distributed around the bottoms of the caps, and it *is normally*
the remains of a particular glue that the manufacturers squirt around, and
which is well known in the trade for its deteriorating properties, over a
few years. Some varieties of it even become mildly conductive, and can wreak
havoc with some high voltage sections of TV sets. Assuming that you are
correct however, and it is the remains of leaked electrolyte, you should not
have fitted new caps on top of it. Any electrolyte leakage onto a board,
should be scrupulously cleaned off first.

Arfa