Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] djderringer@hotmail.com is offline

Default Pinewood Derby Diagnosis

OK gentlemen, (most of you I am sure)

I'm sure this will p.o. someone but it has to be said,

It is really supposed to be about the principles being reinforced by
the Scouts, acceptance of those principles and embracing them as one's
own ( and subsequently our son's) which is why we / they join scouting.
All the rationalizing in the world, and more specifically on this
topic, on this site, does not and will not change those principles.
Dad's are supposed to supervise, help, or advise. I can't recall power
tools ever entering the equation when I was a kid. Very modest hand
tools such as a coping saw, sandpaper and a pocket knife is what
required utmost supervision, guidance and advice rang in for the
science; (friction, w5eight distribution, aero-dynamics) etc.

In a nutshell, it is about the process as well as the end result. The
end result should be satisfaction in learning to create, compete,
win/lose and to do all of it with dignity. Dads who don't respect that
or just don't get it, should just drop the boy off and let another
responsible adult LEAD by a PROPER example and justifications and
rationalizations be damned.

OK, off of my soap box. I endure my share of OT political crap that
shouldn't even be discussed on this site so I felt comfortable chiming
in here because there is at least a theoretical block of wood
involved...

DJ

On Jan 22, 10:43 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:10:52 -0600, "NuWaveDave"

wrote:
Wheel balancing! And Wheel bearings . . . and machined axles. And,
synthetic bearing lubricants. Tried a taller gear ratio?
~)))))
NuWave Dave in HoustonTo me, it is the transmission of the concept of craftsmanship.

The same mentality that makes you create a piston fit drawer, a
hermetic dovetail joint, a perfect deep gloss lacquer finish - these
are all created by the repetition of simple processes, and the truth
of success in any of them is - Character.

Going the extra mile. Being unreasoning in your pursuit of
excellence. Doing what needs to be done to make it as good as you
possibly can.

I don't have my boy stand in front of the drill press for an hour to
win this race - I want him to understand what it takes to win his
race, whatever that may turn out to be.

I have been somewhat facile about winning the Derby - I am much less
so about the lessons that the process teaches.

The goal with my son is never actually to beat anyone else but
himself.

Kipling had a great poem about it. I've had my boy memorize it.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/