Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Hanging an internal door - complete beginner questions

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to change one of my internal doors for a part glazed one and
I've seen a glazed pine door in Wickes (Downham) that I like (and can
afford).

The new door is 1981x762mm and the existing door is 1962x752mm so
obviously I'm going to have to take 10mm off the width and 19mm off the
length.

What would the best way of doing this - I'm fairly sure I won't have a
tool for this - could I hire something or should I be buying something?

I would use a router. It will give a much nicer finish than sawing, but you
will probably need one with a 1/2" chuck. If you saw, you will need to
finish off with a plane. If you put a small radius on all the edges, with a
router or just by sanding, any paint or varnish you apply is much less
likely to chip there.

Don't forget to take an equal amount off each side. Whether to take an equal
amount off top and bottom or to take it all off the bottom will depend on
how much spare wood there is, what it will look like after and how close
that brings you to the joints. Most door makers allow for quite a lot to
come off the bottom.

Colin Bignell