Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging an internal door - complete beginner questions

Bitstreams wrote:

The new door is 1981x762mm and the existing door is 1962x752mm so
obviously I'm going to have to take 10mm off the width and 19mm off
the length.

What would the best way of doing this - I'm fairly sure I won't have a
tool for this - could I hire something or should I be buying
something?

Too much for a power planer - unless you have all day. Circular saw is the
tool for the job. You really need to take an equal amount from each
edge/side. So 5mm from each edge & 9.5mm from top & bottom.

Circular saws come with a rip fence & most (but not all) will adjust to the
ammount you require. Whatever you buy, check that the fence moves close
enogh to the blade to give a 5mm edge cut. Don't even think about trying a
free hand cut.

Support the door securely so it doesn't move about. Adjust the fence to
remove whatever. Adjust the depth of cut so the teeth of the blade just
protrude below the thicknes.

There is quite a lot of work involved in changing a door. You need to
rebate the hinges, cut a mortice for the latch & rebate it etc.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman