Posted to sci.electronics.repair
UCLAN UCLAN is offline

Default Powersupply testing

Russ wrote:

Would measuring the 5, 12, 3.3, -5 VDC inputs give me the correct
resistance setting also? If I measure the 5 volts I get 1.6 Ohms. If I
measure the 3.3 VDV I get 35K Ohms. ( need to double check that one).
The 12 gives me 500 ohms. Do I set the load tester to these settings
when setting up the resistance? Or does this not take into
consideration of any reactance in the circuit? The load tester has a
setup for the amps and watts. You can set them at what every you want.
Do I need to set these? I guess I would set the amps but what about
the watts? Do I set that or just leave it at 0. It shows me the amps
on the display of the tester.

You've lost me. 5v/1.6 ohms is only 3.125 amps. 12v/500 ohms
is only 0.024 amps.

If you have to manually set the ohms, use the formula I gave.
If the tester has a current readout display, it must have an
adjust knob. Start with the knob fully CCW, and slowly turn
it CW until the current readout is at that output's full rated
load. Be careful not to exceed the PSU's total rated power.