Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Fixing flaky buttons

StellarTech wrote:
At the risk of firing another "shot" that will spark the next WD-40 war, I
feel compelled to speak again on the subject. In hindsight, I can see that
an amateur or novice technician might get carried away using '40. But to an
experienced tech, it can be a good product. And your implication that the
literally tens of thousands of products I have serviced "went up in smoke",
I find somewhat offensive. I am a quality technician, I have extensive
training, and I successfully serviced most types of consumer electronic
equipment from digital camcorders to vacuum-tube ham radios. I did not
specialize; I serviced literally anything that came across my bench. Of
course, there were some units that I was unable to repair that another tech
was. But the reverse was also true. In the last 10 years of my career, I was
the tech they turned to when nobody else could or would service a unit.

Don't take it personally, this is usenet.

I don't think anyone was deliberately impugning your technical skill,
and no doubt most of the products that you applied WD40 to carried on
working for some considerable time after you released them back into the
wild. You, as I would, probably applied tiny amount in just the right
place (tho you did advise flushing keyswitch contacts with it) -
Probably for some jobs it`s fine, mechanical contacts, valve pins etc.
but the fact is, It`s not the right product, and there`s plenty of stuff
available that is specifically designed for the purpose.

I`m sure most if not all manufacturers of equipment would be aghast at
the thought of someone spraying WD40 into their gear, and the
manufacturers of WD40 expressly advise against using it on electronics.

Ron(UK)