Posted to alt.home.repair
# Fred # # Fred # is offline

Default Loose cabinet

"Chris" wrote in message
news:FO0uh.153801$rv4.25310@edtnps90...
Hello,

When I close the drawer on my cabinet, the whole thing shakes. It also
seems
that the cabinet is leaning forward as it's no longer flush with the wall.

The cabinet sits between the stove and the fridge. It's just wide enough
for
a coffee maker and toaster.

I emptied the cabinet and I can see two screws (Robinston). I pushed the
cabinet so it was flush with the wall and tried to tighten the screws. The
screws wouldn't tighten?!?

Is there some trick at tightening the cabinet? I tried to google for it
but
I just seem to find articles about loose cabinet hinges - none talk about
loose cabinets.

Thanks.

--
Chris

I had this happen to one of my rentals where the whole 10' upper cabinet
section came off the wall and just about to crash down onto the floor. It
was attached with nails - two per cabinet at the top nailing strip. I jack
it up the 10' section with couple of hydraulic jacks and screw it back with
4" long lag bolts to all the studs - overkill but cheap insurance. The lag
bolts were driven with a 1/2" socket wrench so you could apply a lot of
torque so be careful not to over torque.

Sure you want to use the same screws that already failed once? I would
replace it with longer ones.