Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Bedroom without closet- options and alternatives?

On Jan 24, 1:59 pm, wrote:
I have a bedroom in my house, approx 12x12 that doesn't have a closet.
It's also not large.

Be careful: from a real estate and assessment standpoint, if it doesn't
have a closet, it's not a bedroom.

As to your question about solutions, it would help to know how you plan
to use the room. Is it going to be your bedroom? A child's bedroom? A
guest room? Do you want to store clothes? Hanging? Flat in drawers or
shelves? All are important considerations.

If you don't mind the look, a simple and low-cost way to go is a closet
organizer kit installed on one wall. Alternatively, if you want
something freestanding you could buy those metal shelving units at a
place like Lowe's and install hanger bars using 1x3s and plumbing caps
to hold the bars in addition to using the shelves (something I did at
seminary as my particular dorm room didn't have a closet).

The problem I foresee with kitchen cabinetry is you can really only use
the full-length pantry-style cabinets for any hanging. Though, I will
say, the idea of refitting an Ikea 18" wide pull-out pantry cabinet to
have a hanger bar instead of shelves is REALLY intriguing.

Do you have enough space to build a permanent closet with a door? If
so, that might be the best way to go, especially if this is going to be
a more-often used bedroom.