Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Fixing flaky buttons

webpa wrote:

At the risk of (re)starting a WD40 war: WD40 is a blend of waxes and
solvents. It is very good at DISSOLVING numerous kinds of
polymers...such as those used to make flexible keypads, sealing
electrolytic capacitors, moulding complex mechanical parts, adhesives,
etc. WD40 has been found to be capable of dissolving (literally) the
resistor material used in SOME potentiometers (linear and rotary), glue
used to hold complex switches in assembly, and the
conductivity-enhancing black coating on some IR remocon PCBs. It takes
only a fraction of a drop to do any of this.

Given enough time, residue (wax) from a WD40 coating will attract
enough ambient dust to form conductive paths where the designer did not
intend them to be, thus destroying components. WD40 is a good TEMPORARY
solution for squeaking door hinges...temporary because WAX IS NOT A
LUBRICANT. WD40 can do nothing positive for electronic equipment other
than hasten its replacement. IAW: You don't recall re-serviceing
anything because of WD40 because the next failure was probably so
catestrophic that the item went to the dustbin as soon as the smoke
cleared.

Don't misunderstand...I'm a WD40 enthusiast. I have a 1-gallon tin of
the stuff under my work bench for use as a cleaner...because it is the
best I've found for cutting heavy grease, adhesive tape residue, and
rinsing crap out of tiny ball-bearings. Just don't ever think of it as
a "contact cleaner" or "tuner cleaner." It isn't.

Well said that man, that should be part of the FAQ.

Ron(UK)