Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house
Gunner Gunner is offline

Default Water vacuum fiter. Was Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:16:45 -0600, Alan wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:26:51 GMT, ted frater
wrote:

Noozer wrote:
Since you brought up the subject of old vacuums, thought I should mention
mine: a Kenmore upright that I bought for $10 back in 1980, when it was
already, what? probably 30 years old. I just used it yesterday.

In the time I've had it, I've replaced the footswitch, repaired the plug
(the cord going into it got a bit frayed, so I epoxied it into the plug),
and that's it. Oh, and it has a resuable filter bag, so no filters to buy.

Hrm... a 50 year old vacuum bag probably doesn't filter dust out like the
disposable bags of today. Other than that I'd prefer a referbed old unit.

Beat that with any of the pieces of **** made today (except for the
expensive, gold-plated ones) ...

Saw an ad for a vacuum using water to catch the dirt and dust instead of a
filter. It SOUNDS like a good idea. They were selling for $200 for two.
That's more than I'll spend to find out how well it works, but at $100 for
one I may have considered. Dumb marketing.

Any idea if the idea of filtering with water is actually a good idea? Maybe
something I should look for when buying the central vac I'll install in the
next year or two when our old canister dies.

Using water to clean air by passing it through is an old idea.
Hooka pipes use it in Turkey, and many spray booths use a water curtain
in their extraction cabinets to remove paint particles before venting
into the open air.
So yes, its a good idea but one would need to see it working first
on a domestic scale.

Well, it cools the smoke in the hookah, but its ability to
filter might be called into question by the fact that people
still get the smoke, and its effects, despite the water

It _sounds_ good, but..............

Alan

In the US..the hookah is called a "bong" and cools the smoke. Period.

Least as far as I can remember of the 60s

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin