Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Plastic taste in refrigerator filtered water dispenser (and ice)

On 24 Jan 2007 13:30:06 -0800, "VV" wrote:

I am having the same issue. After various trouble shooting with Sears
and OSH folks, we figured out the smell is coming from the Water
reservoir behind the Tray in the refridge. This hooks to the filler
valve at one end and the dispenser tube at the other end. I did remove
the reservoir and could smell the same smell. I would be running baking
Soda water through it as it would remove any strong odours. Hopefully
the smell would go away. If anyone has a better solution please share.

I'm just guessing, but if you can take the part(s) out, I'm wondering
if sunlight or heat (not much, say 80 or 90 degrees) might speed up
the disappearance of the smell. Perhaps water is something like an
insulator when it comes to smell? I'm told fish and other sea
creatures can smell, but that might not mean much.

Don't all these plastic things have solvents in them that keep the
plastic flexible? When the last little bit of solvent is gone, is
that when plastic becomes brittle? I've wondered about these things.

However replacing this wont really take off the odour as you have seen
and Sears also suggested the same.