Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT -- imitation antifreeze

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:22:58 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

If it's a small leak, loosen the radiator cap so the system never
pressurizes; it will leak a lot slower

That's a very good idea. I used to know that but I forgot. .

and might even heal itself with
mineral deposits. Keep it topped up with, say, 2:1 water and antifreeze
instead of 1:1 until you get it fixed if you don't need really cold

Also good idea.

Well, I looked today and it is definitely low, 1/3 of the tank or
more. And it's supposed to be down to xxxx tonight, so I decided to
do nothing until it's a little warmer. I'm working at home these
days.

Called the local consumer auto parts store and the radiator is 145.
Not sure how it compares to the three qualities two online stores had,
including the one for 105 including shipping and (no) tax. This one
is just down the street of course.

freeze protection. Your water pump will thank you for not running
straight water.

Best regards,
Bob