Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Bedroom without closet- options and alternatives?

On Jan 24, 12:59 pm, wrote:
I have a bedroom in my house, approx 12x12 that doesn't have a closet.
It's also not large.

I found an ikea wardrobe that fit across one wall perfectly- approx 18
in deep and 6 ft wide. But the particle board shattered when I stood
it up. Say what you will, but no ikea product collapsed like that for
me before. the screws just popped the particle board right out like it
was made of potato chips.

So Ikea is out, but I cannot find a similar retailer who has a wide
wardrobe/armoire/storage type product. All the wardrobes I find are
"entertainment centers."

I've got recommendations for installing kitchen cabinetry, but has
anyone done something similar or have recommendations for
non-permanent closets in a small space?

I am having trouble finding online resources for this problem.

thanks!

Don

You can get an antique wardrobe for about $500 - $1000. As others have
said, they vary in size, most are about 4 ft. wide by 20 inches deep or
so. If it's an old house, that's how big the closet would be if it
were there! The nice thing about an antique is it's real wood and
should last, and incidentally not be so dang heavy as a particle board
one. If someday you move and don't need a portable closet any more, it
could become an entertainment center, or a way to keep the dust off the
winter clothes in the attic, or whatever. Or it could be sold back to
the antique store.