Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default DVD Recorder

On 21 Jan 2007 10:32:14 -0800, "lsmartino"
wrote:

b) DVD-RW: you can write and erase it as many times you want
theoretically, but in practice they donīt endure very well that kind
of use. Some discs had been able to sustain 100 record/play/erase
cycles.

I've had good luck with DVD+RWs. I've been using the same lot of
discs for a few years and I have yet to lose one except to accidental
scratches. They even play back in most DVD players made in the last 5
years.

I don't recommend DVD recorders though. Even if the hardware is
reliable, the software which makes them work is usually crap. I have
never used a DVD recorder that worked the way it should. There are
always at least one or two "bugs" in the user interface.

They're also not as convenient to use as VCRs. You can't just pick up
a DVD and throw it in and press record. You have to turn on the TV,
wait for the DVD menu to load, then go through the menus to erase the
DVD, then wait for it to load again, then press record and 5 or 10
seconds later it actually starts recording. If the power goes out
while it's recording you'll lose the entire recording because it
didn't updated the disc menu. DVDs only hold 2 hours of good quality
video. Sure you can get 3, or 4 hours on a DVD, but it will look like
something on utube.

Andy Cuffe