Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Most Common Problem With Floppy Disk Drives

Hi!

then other parts would try to compensate and burn out.

I just can't see that being a problem unless it is a very poorly made drive.
The stepper motors that are usually used to drive the heads up and down the
surface of the disk have a lot of power. Even when stuck they seem to be
content to sit and hum or pulse with no lasting damage.

I have yet to see one of the "pancake" motors get stuck by lubrication
failure.

WHen they cost hundreds of dollars, repair and clearning and alignment
were worth the effort. But, now you can buy a floppy drive for next to
nothing, and you might as well start fresh.

Which is fine when your system uses a conventional drive. If it
doesn't...then knowing how to repair one could be handy. And it can be done
in many cases. This especially applies to users of older Macintosh computers
and the IBM PS/2 line. (Both of which are still regularly used in the right
circles.)

William