Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Most Common Problem With Floppy Disk Drives

Hi!

What is the most common problem with floppy disk drives?

Alignment problems and bad capacitors seem to top the list of things I've
seen causing failures. Gummed up or worn away grease can cause problems too.
On drives that use them, I've seen some failures of the density detection
and write protect switches... You can fix the capacitor problems if you
want...alignment is a bit tougher.

For all the posters that have suggested dirty heads as a cause, I have only
ever found a few drives that were affected by dirt or dust on the heads. In
many of these cases, the drive was packed full of dust or lint.

William