Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light The Reverend Natural Light is offline

Default Repairing large holes in drywall

Very good advice so far.

A friend recommended leaving some extra paper on the patch piece. It's
a little tricky to do. Basically, you cut the paper on the face wider
on all sides than what you actually need by a half inch or so. Then
you score the back side of the piece exactly the size you need and
break the joint there, peeling the extra face paper away from the
leftover parts.

The extra width of paper becomes the 'built in' joint tape. Mud it
over top of the existing drywall surface.

This comes from someone who I imagine has punched more than his fair
share of holes in walls so trust the advice.

You'd still support the patch from the back side like everyone else
recommends. This is just cosmetic.

-rev

On Jan 23, 9:54 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I have a room with 5 holes where speakers used to be mounted in the walls.

Each hole is the same size........a rectangle about 9 inches wide and about
14 inches tall.

Now that the speakers have been removed, I am left with filling these 5
holes. Cutting out new pieces of drywall to fit these 5 openings is not
hard. I am wondering how to attach the drywall, since there are no studs
anywhere near the cut-out openings.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Smarty