Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default Most Common Problem With Floppy Disk Drives

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:36:05 GMT, (Brad) wrote:

Hi,

I have three computers that developed problems with reading floppy disks.
Note: This problem occurred at a different time for each computer.

What is the most common problem with floppy disk drives?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

If the disks are stored in a damp environment they will have mildew on
them. The mildew is transferred to the head making subsequent "good"
disks malfunction as well. Clean the heads. A head cleaner disk will
usually work well enough - no need to take it apart.

Magnetic VHS tape has similar problems in damp places - mildew just
loves the recording media.

Clean the bad disk(S) if you want to try taking it apart. It is hard
to clean the disk when it is badly contaminated with mildew (the stuff
you can actually see). It is easy to destroy one while trying to
clean it. Use your head - alcohol is a good solvent if it contains
nothing that leaves a residue - soap and water works well - but give
it a wipe with alcohol so you don't have any minerals from the water
on the disk.

Store disks in an environment that stays dry and away from magnetic
fields or keep them sealed with a desiccant, or switch to CDRW. Some
disks seem more resistant to mildew than others - but I don't use
floppy any more so I haven't kept up with them.