Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Telephone will not dial out--the kind of phone with no AC power

On 24 Jan 2007 05:19:35 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 23, 7:45 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 23 Jan 2007 12:28:57 -0800, wrote:

[snip]

There is usually a box on the outside wall , its the demarcation point
between your hose wiring and the phone companies line.

In there is usually a test point that you can plug a phone into .On recent installations. Older ones just have a junction box with a

surge suppressor.

If it
works there the problem is in your house wiring.

I have actually never seen a domestic phone that required outside powerCordless phones always require outside power.

Not only cordless phones, but also phones that have features like a
Speakerphone and speed dial. I have a 2 line Lucent phone here with
those features that requires batteries.

If it's just speakerphone, that can be line powered. Speed dial (and
caller ID) involve memory that has to be maintained all the time.
Batteries may be needed to provide power when the phone is "on hook",
since little current can be drawn from the line at that time.

. The phone is powered via the phone line .

If you are reversing pairs make sure you are reversing the correct line.It's usually the wires connected to the center 2 pins of the phone

jack.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com