Posted to alt.home.repair
Dean Dean is offline

Default OT -- imitation antifreeze

On Jan 24, 5:34 am, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 03:31:45 -0500, mm wrote:
Yeah, I did try BarsLeak and it seemed to work great. But that was a
week or two ago. A couple days after I added it, the level was just
as high as when I put it in (which is funny because even when there is
no leak I seem to lose some in the overflow bottle.) Tonight, I
noticed that even though the engine was a lot hotter than normal, one
or one half index mark from the top of the scale, there was no heat
coming from the heater. No heat is a pretty clear sign I have less
water than I should (Maybe half as much as I should is my guess). No heat is not always a sign of low coolant level. In your case, the level may

have droped at some point far enough to empty the heat exchanger. When you
refilled the radiator, the heat exchanger remained filled with air. It needs to
be bled out.

Using straight water is an excellent way to destroy your water pump. If you are
losing coolant and the radiator appears dry, you may have already done so. My
advice is that you are headed for trouble. Expensive trouble. Forget all of the
lame-brained schemes to put off replacing the radiator, and do it immediately.
Even if that means paying someone else.

CWM

"Forget all of the
lame-brained schemes" ..Agreed,,a few of the schemes have potential but only for very short-term..I think one of the first enviro-friendly versions of antifreeze was called "Sierra" but not 100% sure..

I changed a water pump in -20F temps by working 10-20 minutes then
going in to warm My fingers many years ago,,took all day,,If I can do
that You can change a radiator in above 0 temps..If You have serious
health issues disregard the preceeding!