Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.physics
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default OT -- imitation antifreeze

In article , mm wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 04:28:15 GMT, Steve Kraus
wrote:

A few seconds of Googling suggests that most alternative antifreezes are
geared towards being more enviro or pet friendly, not necessarily cheaper.

Yeah. I was looking for something we already had at home, like
rubbing alcohol (or drinking alcohol, but that's probably too
expensive. How about cheap white wine? Would that damage the
engine?)

Yes, it would. Wine is fairly acidic, and you'd have a major corrosion
problem. It also wouldn't save you any money, either: you can get antifreeze
at discount stores for around seven dollars a gallon. Try buying wine for a
dollar-forty a bottle...

I'm really curious about sugar now. It doesn't evaporate. I wonder
why I've never heard of it being used.

Because it's a bad idea...

Or pepper. I have an extra can of ground pepper.

Pepper doesn't dissolve in water.

Or a weak solution of baking soda or vinegar. AiUI, anything
dissolved in water lowers the freezing temp and raises the boiling
temp.

A weak solution of *anything* isn't going to help you. Even a weak solution of
antifreeze isn't going to help.

--
Regards,