Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Telephone will not dial out--the kind of phone with no AC power

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:40:24 GMT, Thomas Horne
wrote:

jart ames wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
|I like to have one telephone in my house that will work when the power
| goes out.
|
| GET A CELL PHONE NUMBSKULL

What a child!

Our crews in New Orleans found that after the cell site batteries ran
down the only phones left working were the ones that were connected to
unflooded local exchanges. Not all cell sites have generators and their
battery reserves are only good for a day or two. All of the legacy bell
exchanges have engine alternator or generator sets.

I think these are the most reliable too, but feel compelled to give
one opposite example. AFter the World Trade Center was destroyed in
2001, much/most landline phone usage was impossible in NYC, but cell
phones continued to work, well in most cases.

I wasn't in NYC that day. G-d forbid more of us should learn such
things first hand. But like others have said, back-ups are good.
Back-ups of a different sort are even better. And everyone with a
landline should have at least one corded phone in the house, because
almost all will work without house power.